Saturday, 8 September 2012

Getting High, And How?! | Shooting Star

Complete links for Getting High, And How?!
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

5

Day 3 – 18 June 2012 | Part 2

The temperature further plummeted as the rain continued. While Chandramouly and I took cover under a tree, I was reminded of the previous time I was headed to Rohtang La. I only wished it would not rain as hard, or as long as it had rained that time. The trailing pack caught up with us. They confirmed that the backup jeep was not behind us, which meant it had gone ahead. While we were undecided if we should continue waiting here for the rain to subside, Gurudeep decided to race ahead and find the jeep. He also asked us to ride ahead at a slow pace to keep things moving.

The rain had turned into a light drizzle now, so we got back to pedalling once again. In a little while, Gurudeep returned – with the backup jeep following him. We quickly located a spot beside the road that seemed to offer just enough cover from the rain. We parked our bikes, took our rain gear from the jeep, and ran for cover! Waiting under the trees, we had chocolate bars, biscuits and some orange juice. We would have liked to wait until the rain had stopped, but we could not. Once done with our snack, we got back on our bikes. We planned to stop at a restaurant ahead, and get something hot!

In under a kilometre, we ran into a couple more cyclists headed our direction. After a quick chat with them, I learnt they too were from Bangalore and were headed to Leh. They did not seem like they wanted to remain in a conversation, so I headed my way. The little snack had recharged my batteries and I found myself cycling a brisk pace now. Of course, Chandramouly was still ahead of me though.

As we kept cycling, I realised it was getting a little uncomfortable riding with the rain gear on. It trapped all the body heat in so much that I was almost sweating, even though it was freezing outside! Anyhow, after riding about a bit, I saw a small shack by the side of the road. As I got closer, I saw that the shack had a kerosene stove lit up inside. On closer inspection, I saw there were packets of Maggi too. I was not too sure if this is where we were supposed to halt for lunch, but I did not give it a second thought. I immediately stopped and shouted out to Chandramouly, who was quite ahead of me, to stop. He could not hear me and continued riding ahead.

I got into the shack and called for a Maggi. As the guy started preparing it, I saw Mizan approaching. I asked him if he wanted to stop and get a Maggi too. He did indeed! Next in line was Akshay. When I asked him if I should call a Maggi for him too, his face lit up! And so did the shack owner’s! Soon Ramya, HT and Gurudeep arrived. This indeed was the place we were to stop. We sent the jeep to chase Chandramouly and get him back. And then he joined us too, with the driver.

With the shack having only Maggi and tea in their menu, we all called for a second round. Sitting in the shack, we saw a huge bird that flew across and perch up on a tree. Gurudeep, Akshay and I stepped out to find it, and then got a few pictures of it. Turns out, it was a Himalayan Griffon, and we were glad we stepped out in the rain to locate it!

Meanwhile, the rain showed no signs of relenting. Though most of us would have preferred to stay back in the warm and dry shack, we had to get back on the road again. I do not know if I was hallucinating, but the slope seemed to be getting steeper since our last stop. After a couple of hairpin bends, the rain finally gave in. Perhaps, because we were now over the rain clouds!

It was getting a whole lot windier, and a whole lot colder as we headed up towards the snow-capped mountains. I found it quite thrilling riding on the very edge of the road, while watching the valley below, and tracing the twisted road that got us up here. But after spotting an overturned truck in a river below, I decided to keep a little away. But it was still very tempting to keep peeking at the green valley below every once in a while.

Chandramouly and Mizan had gotten so ahead of us that they were now out of sight. Knowing well that there was only one road everyone had to take meant that one did not have to ask anyone for directions. En route, we came across a herd of horses galloping away on the hills. It was quite a sight, and I thought I must keep up with them! Of course, that was not a smart thing to do and I slowed down to ride with the group again. With a few more kilometres left for the day, the jokes we cracked enabled us to divert our attention from the fatigue that was catching up.

After a while, Virender passed us guys in the second jeep. This jeep was to be our mobile kitchen for the ride, and it also carried our tents in addition to all supplies we would require for the next few days. They were headed to our campsite to set up our tents, so that they would be ready when we would arrive.

As dusk approached, the wind picked up considerably. As if the slope was not bad enough, now, we had to fight the wind too. In just a little bit, up ahead, I saw what looked like a little settlement. Ha, I thought it very well could be Marhi. I slipped down a couple of gears, put my head down and started pedalling a little quicker. As I got closer, I saw that Mizan and Chandramouly were already there. But our jeep was not. Ah, this was definitely not where we were to stop for the day, but we could do well with a break. Although there were quite a few people at the place, we cyclists did not get much attention from them. I soon learnt the reason for that was a couple of French cyclists – who had arrived there a little earlier. Those guys had started their ride from Chandigarh and had no backup whatsoever! No wonder, we guys were ignored!

Anyhow, having been there before, Gurudeep pointed to us where Marhi was. It was not much further away, but we could see that it required some more climbing. As it was getting dark, we got back on the road again. After a bit of cycling, one last hairpin bend remained. Approaching it, I estimated each of its legs were at least about a half kilometre in length. And the good thing was the first part was a slight downhill! My joy was short-lived because the headwind was so strong at this point that I had to keep pedalling to get the bike moving. After what felt like forever, it was time to turn around and head up again – for one last time for the day. The headwind now turning into tailwind assisted us in the climb. For the first time ever, cycling uphill felt easier than getting down!

In little time, we made it to Marhi. We could not locate where our jeep was, so we had to wait for the rest of the guys to join us. While waiting for the others, Chandramouly and I, found a shack that had a fire lit up and warmed ourselves beside it. Soon, Mizan, Akshay and Ramya gave us company too. Once Gurudeep arrived with HT, he pointed to us where our campsite was. It was well away from the hustle and bustle of this little settlement and I instantly loved it! In spite of a long day of riding, we raced towards it. The crew were still setting up our sleeping tents. I could see that it was struggle getting them up amidst this strong wind.

A large dining tent was already set up, and we guys got into it while the crew went about setting up the rest. There was some food being readied in the mobile kitchen, and it smelt great! Sitting on the mattress inside the tent felt heavenly after a long day on the saddle! By the time we guys filmed a little video of ourselves, the sleeping tents were ready. We moved our luggage into them and changed into cleaner and warmer clothes. With it being so windy, no one was going to take a bath tonight! Or tomorrow morning for that matter! Once cleaned up, we got back to the dining tent. The mood inside the tent was a happy one! Each of us had many things to say about the day’s ride, though, things quietened up a bit once the food arrived. After a scrumptious dinner, we stepped outside. It was dark by now, and we found ourselves standing underneath a million stars.

As we were talking about, the sky suddenly lit up for an instant – so bright that it almost felt like mid day! When I looked up, I saw a streak of light across the sky, slowly fading away! That is when I realised it was a shooting star! Goosebumps! I could have made a wish, but I was too much in awe to do that! I had never seen anything as magnificent before! The ride up here felt worth it just to witness this event!

Still in awe, we walked about a bit before we got back to our tents. The only thing left now was to tuck into our sleeping bags and get some rest. Tomorrow, we would get across Rohtang La!

Complete links for Getting High, And How?!
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

No comments: