Sunday, 30 September 2012

Getting High, And How?! | Please Blow Horn

Complete links for Getting High, And How?!
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 8 | 9 | 10 |  

9

Day 6 – 21 June 2012 | Part 1

I was awakened even before the alarm went off. Oddly, I could not sleep very well last night. Perhaps, I missed my sleeping bag! As I idly got off the bed, I discovered that my left wrist ached a bit. I must have hurt it during the downhill ride over rough terrain yesterday. That reminded me that I should ask Virender to take a look at the dysfunctional shock absorbers on my bike.

It was truly remarkable that the entire group was up at more or less the same time. I guess each of us were quite enthusiastic about the ride. As we made our way downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast, we realised that our bikes too had been already washed. I really wished they had not – you see, the dirt on it reminds us of the moments that got them there! And yeah, it also makes it look a little macho!

We headed back to our rooms upstairs after breakfast and quickly packed up. All geared up, as I stepped out of the room with my luggage, I saw Gurudeep and Virender attending to the bikes. The drive chains now required to be oiled, post the wash. Added to that of course, were the many little things that needed to be mended or fine tuned. Gurudeep had ridden the better part of yesterday without functioning rear brakes, and was keen on fixing it today. On the whole, it was about 0930 by the time we finally set out.

Our destination for the day was Zing Zing Bar, some 30 odd kilometres away. We would have to climb close to 1000 metres in that distance though. Having lost a little too much time in the morning, we were keen on making up for lost time. Well, I did make a stop barely five minutes into the ride to get a picture beside a milestone, but after that, we guys rode quite hard. The road was freshly laid, and we almost glided over it with little effort.

That is until we arrived at Darcha. The tarmac now gave away to gravel and we were descending towards an old bridge that barely stretched itself across a dirty brown river. The carriageway consisted of planks of wood laid one beside another, and looking at it, I picked up some speed – just to hear the bridge rattle! In less than one hundred metres, we had to get across another wooden bridge. This time though, I kept my speed in check, because the bridge was that wobbly! Beyond this was a rather tall mountain, which had to be scaled in just two hairpin bends! I remembered this stretch very clearly from my previous ride – back then, when I was descending, I felt like I was going down a slide! This time, I had to get up it, and I did not even have a motor!

The road was barely wide enough to let a truck pass through and we had to occasionally stop to let the vehicles pass. The road, having been swept clean by the tyres only in two narrow patches meant that each time a vehicle got off this line to get past us, or avoid running into us, it kicked up a ton of dust all over us. Added to this, the sun was now glaring down on with great fury. We had made it to the first bend and turned around to get to the second.

As always, Chandramouly led us there and was opening up quite a gap over us too. Halfway there though, he stopped to have a chat with an old man. As Akshay and I approached them, we stopped for a brief chat. We learnt that he was a cowherd who had brought his cattle to graze on whatever little vegetation that was there. The heat from the sun was making it difficult to continue a conversation, so I told the man that I would ride ahead and find some shade. He told me that I would not find a single tree ahead! Looking around, I had no reason not to believe him, but I bade him goodbye anyway and got back on the bike.

A little ahead, almost at the second hairpin bend, I did find a tree, though most of its leaves were missing. Perhaps, they were eaten by an overly ambitious goat! It offered very little shade, but for the moment, it was good enough. We waited there for the rest of the team to arrive. The old cowherd soon reached the spot. He noticed the tree and said that this was perhaps the only tree that existed in the area! Anyhow, after a little discussion on inventing a portable urinal, we got back on the road! (HT, if you are reading this, I hope you remember our patent discussion!)

The road was still in shambles as we kept getting higher. We had to keep a constant watch on the road, while twisting and turning, while we chose a path with the least bit of undulations. I do not know what it was with the vehicles that were behind us to honk so much at us. At one instant, I was so annoyed I almost asked the taxi driver if there was a board on the back of my t-shirt that read – Please Blow Horn!

The group slowly started to split up as we rode on. By now, you would know who had already cleared the horizon. Mizan, Akshay and I, more or less stayed together, while Ramya and HT formed the tail, with motivation provided by Gurudeep! After about an hour of riding, we got to see tarmac again. And with it, the climb too now turned to a descent. Though it was tempting to just duck down a bit and speed along, we decided to stop at the first spot that offered us any kind of shade. Like the old man had said, there was no tree in sight. After looking about a little bit, we found a spot – a mountain that was carved to make way for the road. There was a good chance that a rock could dislodge and fall over us, but at the moment, that prospect seemed better than getting fried under the sun! Ramya joined us in another five minutes, and we sat there and chatted. A lot of bikers passed us as we waited for HT and Gurudeep. Most of them were too proud to give us thumbs up! Sarcastically, I gave them one! Anyhow, after waiting for over half an hour HT and Gurudeep joined us. It certainly looked like HT was struggling a bit.

After a little refreshment, regrouped, minus Chandramouly that is, we rode ahead. In less than ten minutes, we ran into Chandramouly. He was sitting beside the road, because a stream was flowing across it! As we were debating if we should walk across, pushing our bikes alongside; or ride across – I handed over my camera to Gurudeep and did the latter! The water current was strong enough to push the bike laterally as I rode across. Ha, this was the coolest thing I had ever done riding a bike – yet! Soon, the rest of the guys rode across one by one. After getting a few pictures, we carried on. In the next hour, there were several more water crossings. But now having gathered some stream crossing experience, the time we spent determining the best path across kept decreasing! The excitement, on the other hand, was only headed the other direction!

We stopped for lunch beside a small lakeDeepak Tal. The water was so clean that we could see all the way to the bed! In a distance, I noticed a little waterfall that fed to the lake. And on the other end, the lake overflowed into the road. I was surprised that we guys had missed this lake completely during our previous ride! I was still in awe looking at the lake, while the others started with lunch. I soon joined them – feasting on a burger, boiled eggs, peaches and other fresh and dried fruits.

Complete links for Getting High, And How?!
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 8 | 9 | 10 |

No comments: