This afternoon, our coffee time discussion in office somehow spilled over to ‘chivalry’. I now realise it was a stupid thing for us to be discussing because, firstly, there was not a single girl in our gang, and secondly, coffee time is restricted to fifteen minutes these days, so we ought to be discussing better things!
Personally, I am not so much of a supporter of chivalry, although I do it sub-consciously, if you may please! I mean, if there is such a huge furore about guys and girls being equal, then why do girls expect us guys to be courteous towards them? I know a lot of girls (even the die-hard feminist types!) expect, or rather, demand the guys to be chivalrous! It is kind of amusing, right?! Now do not get me wrong, I have nothing against chivalry, or the guys who are chivalrous. In fact, I myself have held doors open to girls, and do help them while crossing roads, or clearing a path while walking through a crowded place.
Anyway, I think there are a few women out there who push their luck a little too far, with their expectation of guys to be courteous! I want to reiterate that I mentioned few, and not all! And I am not generalising anything either. Let me share two incidents, which affirms my above belief.
Scene I:
A friend and I were waiting in a queue at 10:15, to buy tickets for a movie that had begun at 10:00. And there were, perhaps, two guys ahead of us, and we guys were cursing them for being there! At this time, a lady with a kid walked up to us and smiled.
She: I have to buy tickets to this movie that has already started at 10:00. So would it be a problem if I get ahead of you guys?
My friend was about to let her pass us, but I had to intervene.
Me: And what do you think we are standing here for?!
She: Oh, are you guys waiting for the same movie?
Me: Yeah.
She seemed a little displeased, but then she had no option but to get behind us. My friend could not believe that I could be so blatantly rude, and pretended like he was not with me! He felt what I did was not right. Yeah, whatever!
Scene II:
I was waiting for buying lunch at the office pantry. The queue was particularly long that day. There were a few girls standing quite close to the start of the queue and one was standing right in front of me. Another girl came by, and started speaking with this girl in front of me. After a little yakety-yak she quietly slipped into the queue, without even bothering to ask me if she could!
Of course, I could not keep shut this time either.
Me: Hey, you know if you want to break into the queue, maybe you should go further up ahead and join those girls in the front. It is pointless breaking a queue and standing so far behind!
I was surprised she picked up my sarcasm! Oh, I think I now know why she stopped speaking to me!
So ladies, know where to draw the line! And yes, you are welcome!
Monday, 13 July 2009
Chivalry!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
chivalrous men may be too high an expectation... des dayss ;) Havent they taught in school always leave ur seat for an old person or women with kids in bus/train. Scene1 ... i think ur friend was right.
Yeah right!
But they had never mentioned anything about breaking queues, isn't it?
You women!
;-)
hey dis breaking into line business is done by many men as well ! whoever does it , its real irritating .. but doesn qualify as a example of exhibiting/expecting/demanding chivalry okie :)
Exactly!
But the point is - most girls expect the guys, NOT TO MIND, when they break into a queue! And the sad part is, most guys actually don't mind!
You do have a point though. And I think you too have tried your luck breaking into queues! Haven't you?!
well i have never tried it so far , but if it works y not give it a shot hahahaha
Sure!
Just hope that guys like me aren't around in the queue!
me myself has been drooling on this thought for long...one hand - 21st century, man and woman equal(blah blah)
on the other side- be decent, give respect(more blah blah)
shouldn't i be treating them as my male fellows if both the homo sapiens group are equal
Post a Comment