Life as we know it – is an imperfect vision of reality. I do not recall where I had read this, but at this moment, I cannot seem to agree more.
I had always believed that one among my strongest characteristics, was my ability to stay unattached to people. And if I were to look back, I can safely say that it has been quite essentially true. Now do not get me wrong – I would never say that I did not get close to the people I interacted with. I really did. But I was always practical enough to understand that – come one day, circumstances would make it imperative, that we go our own separate ways. And when that day did arrive – I would pack my bags, walk away, and never once look back.
Like they say – when you loose somebody whom you love too much, it hurts – even to look back.
Well, there was this one time though, when I was too stunned to walk away – but at the end of it, it only made me resolve to get that characteristic stronger. And I suppose I did get it stronger. I have often been asked – how could one be so unemotional? I did not know how one could be otherwise.
But somewhere along the road, things had begun to change. I am not sure if I was that naïve not to have noticed it, or if I was just pretending to have not noticed it. Although not very different, I knew I was not the same – when I had seriously reconsidered, if I indeed needed to take up a new job offer I had received, and leave behind everything I reason.
I did take up that new job. I did leave a lot behind me. And in little time, I was back to being unemotional me.
I could not have been more wrong.
Yesterday, I did not walk away. Instead, I stood right there and watched – because I could go no further. Teary-eyed, I could see the image getting smaller as it went farther – until it finally ebbed away into the expanse.
I still stood there, and looked in the direction, hoping to catch one last glimpse. I even wiped my tears, thinking it would help me see better. But no, I could not see what I wanted to see. Neither could I stop the tears from flowing.
Everything stood still – paused. The cacophony turned to silence. And my mind was stuck. Memories streamed by – in reverse – all the way to the beginning, until I could remember no more.
And then, the noise returned. I had to snap out of it. I took a couple of steps back. I did not want to turn away yet. But then, I knew I had to walk back. And so I did. As much as it hurt – I did look back. And I will always look back.
Maybe I am not that very different after all. I am human. I am me.
Not being able to forget somebody, is not quite the same as always being able to remember somebody.
This is to let you know, that you are being missed.


No comments:
Post a Comment