Monday, 14 March 2011

What’s the score?

Let me start this with a gender biased statement – most women are not as crazy as most men, when it comes to following a game of cricket! Just in case, if you happen to be die hard feminist and have a problem with the above statement – go jump!

Anyway, now that the cricket world cup has begun, almost everyone I know – the girls included, seem to be having something to say about every match that is being played. Some of the really annoying ones keep updating their Facebook status as the match progresses – ball by ball, which results in your homepage being filled only with their updates! This is the trouble with high-speed internet connections and unlimited download plans! Somebody tell them that there a websites designed specifically for this purpose (and thankfully, without their expert opinion)!

I realise I am straying a bit too much, because this post is not about those morons! This post is about my friend – who on this one day, seemed to be more interested than any of us about the cricket match that was being played. I was quite surprised, because I had never actually remembered her mentioning even a word of cricket before she had gotten married! So perhaps, it was the marriage to this guy that made her follow cricket!

Anyhow, a bunch of us had met up for lunch, and we were wondering what we could do next. Since the boys wanted to pick a few games for their PlayStations, we went into a store that sold these. This girl, and her husband entered the store a few minutes after we were there.

Like most stores these days, this too had a wide-screen television hung on one of its wall. And whenever there is a cricket match in which India is involved, it invariably is stuck on to the channel broadcasting the match. Also, you can find a few kids standing so close to the screen that you begin to wonder why did they ever bother trying to make the screen bigger!

Now, as soon as this girl saw the television, she ran towards it and was analysing the score with great interest! And that is when I thought I should tell her this!

Me: Hey, that is not the telecast of the match that is being played today! It is the game, these kids are playing on the Xbox!

2 comments:

Pratik Gupta said...

I liked both the parts specially the first ones. BTW was it directed towards my updates??

Ashwin Wilson said...

Um, there is a difference between putting up a score, and putting up a score followed with some hilarious comments! For that reason, I blocked receiving updates from everyone in Facebook who updated their status every ball, apart from you!

I enjoy reading what you write, and I really wish you wrote more!