Thursday, 12 November 2009

Nice Guys Finish Last!

I was speaking with a friend a little earlier in the evening, and she reminded me of how nice I was!

I am sure you guys are in shock after reading the previous line! I was in shock too when she told it! Come on - now that is something like an oxymoron, right?! Me, and nice?! No way!

Well, it is not that I try not to be nice or anything; nor do I have anything against these so called nice guys. It is just that, there are a lot of hassles if you are considered as a nice guy. You are always expected to be, you know - nice!

Now, that should not be too difficult, right?

I have absolutely no idea!

Think about it – back in school if you were considered as a nice guy, you were expected to behave, and be a role model for the rest of your classmates. Ha, if you were to ask my classmates, or for that matter, my teachers about what they thought of me - I am sure they would all collectively agree, without a shadow of a doubt, that they thought I would someday end up in prison! Not their fault – back then, even I had thought that I would!

Anyhow, coming back to my point - just in case, you do anything, that is remotely unacceptable in the nice world, you would be damned. People would look at you like you need to be banished or something. They would probably say – Oh, I did not expect this from a guy like you. Not just that, even if you continue doing nice things, but if it is not as good as the previous nice thing you did, you would still be screwed! Get the point? Expectations are always very high (and rising), and you would have to live up to it. What a waste of time living your life satisfying others expectations!

On the other hand, consider that you are branded as a bad guy. People do not mind when you do evil things. They are like, totally okay with that. That is what they expect you to do! In fact, even a random act of kindness, or more to say, not-niceness gets you brownie points! So, you are appreciated for doing something neutral! Now that, is wonderful, right?

Anyhow, since I am considered to be a nice guy, I do know I have a few troubled days coming up ahead - and I am bracing myself for the ride!

No comments: